Batch #6 is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale brewed in the Trappist fashion.  Apparently it’s a very dangerous beer!  I guess it seems lighter than it’s 9 to 10% ABV would suggest.  This was a long fermenting beer with 2 fermentation stages.  From start to bottling it’s been a long 6 weeks waiting to see what it will taste like!  Everything went really well this time without any glitches at all.  In fact the first few days of fermentation we had to again close the bathroom door- it really did sound as if we had someone in the house with a severe GI problem!  So today we hit the 6 weeks mark and bottled.  On checking the ABV it looks as if it’s about a 10- right where it was supposed to be.  And on first tasting test it was quite powerful!  I can see why it is said to be seemingly lighter tasting than it’s actual ABV.  I could actually taste the peppery alcohol, spicy cloves, rum-raisin and carmelized figs!  Our nephew thought it was a little early in the day for our taste test!  I’d say it was a good way to start the day considering the cloves, raisins and figs in the mix.  What a great precursor to the Thanksgiving holiday ahead too!  Only downside is that it now has to cure in the bottle for 2 weeks before ready to drink.  Guess we’ll be popping the cap the week after Thanksgiving on it!  Oh and the name- Holatta Micco Caribbean Number 8.  Holatta Micco AKA Billy Bowlegs means Alligator Chief.  Alligator Creek is at the end of our street, we live near the Caribbean (and of course vacation there quite often) and the beer is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale Number 8!  Viola!

2-12-16

Just an addendum to this post.  For some reason the beer didn’t carbonate as we thought that it should after bottled.  On our opening the first bottle we didn’t hear that wonderful whoosh of the cap being popped.  Although the taste was pretty good, it was quite flat as far as the fizzy factor.  In talking with the guys at Northern Brewer it was recommended to give a good rotation to each bottle to kind of stir things up a bit and then wait another couple of weeks.  Each time we opened a new bottle there was a bit more fizz, but at this point it still isn’t quite hitting the good fizz factor!  Experiment time- Jon added a “Fizz Drop” to two of the bottles. He recapped them and just in case we now have bottle bombs, they were placed into a cooler with the lid closed.  Check back here to see if our experiment worked!

Advertisements